www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Scott Ellentuch <...@ttsg.com>
Subject general/9118: FollowSymLink not set, when it should be
Date Fri, 14 Dec 2001 01:29:15 GMT

>Number:         9118
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       FollowSymLink not set, when it should be
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Ever since going to 1.3.22, we've run into alot of times where the system complains about
FollowSymLink not being set, when we never had to set it previously. We use a default
httpd.conf, and add :

    <Directory "/PATH/wwwcust">
        Options +Indexes +Includes
        AllowOverride All
    </Directory>
    <Directory "/PATH/wwwcust1">
        Options +Indexes +Includes
        AllowOverride All
    </Directory>
    <Directory "/PATH/wwwcust2">
        Options +Indexes +Includes
        AllowOverride All
    </Directory>

/PATH/wwwcust1 and /PATH/wwwcust2 is usually a normal directory on a data disk, and
/PATH/wwwcust is a soft sym link to /PATH/wwwcustX/directory .  So, if we move the
directory from wwwcust1 to wwwcust2, we just fix the link, and everything can still
point to the same place.

On a recent install, though, we had to add "+FollowSymLinks" to the Options of all those
lines. I can't see anywhere in the config it ISN'T turned on.... Without it, it won't
serve.

We also installed FrontPage, and get :

[Thu Dec 13 20:03:11 2001] [error] [client 65.105.161.248] Options FollowSymLinks or SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
is off which implies that RewriteRule directive is forbidden: /usr/local/frontpage/version5.0/apache-fp/_vti_bin/fpexe

/usr is a real dir
/usr/local is /disk/usr/local
/usr/local/frontpage is really /disk/usr/local/frontpage
(Yadda)

/usr/local/frontpage/version5.0/apache-fp/_vti_bin/fpexe is really /disk//usr/local/frontpage/version5.0/apache-fp/_vti_bin/fpexe

I added :
    <Directory "/usr/local">
        Options +FollowSymLinks
    </Directory>
    <Directory "/disk/usr/local">
        Options +FollowSymLinks
    </Directory>

and it still is giving the error.

I checked the database, and no other mention of a problem like this has happened for
a few years.  My understanding is that with the :

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>

If I never do anything else, FollowSymLinks should be active for the entire server.
Is this a misconception on my part?