www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From David Welton <dav...@apache.org>
Subject config/9107: the term 'ballpark' used in the config files is an americanism, I believe
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2001 12:46:49 GMT

>Number:         9107
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       the term 'ballpark' used in the config files is an americanism, I believe
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
Linux ashland 2.4.16 #8 Thu Dec 6 16:01:50 CET 2001 ppc unknown

Debian GNU/Linux

While explaining the Apache config files to someone I'm doing consulting for, we ran across:

# Number of servers to start --- should be a reasonable ballpark figure.

and, even though he speaks English reasonably well (I live in Italy), he was confused by the
term 'ballpark'.  Indeed, as far as I know, it's an americanism.   Using the 'dict' program
distributed with my Linux distribution, I was infact not able to find the meaning of the word
as used above.
>How-To-Repeat:
It's in the documentation...
>Fix:
A more appropriate phrase might be "should be a reasonable estimate" or something of that
ilk.