www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Cesar Luiz Sovat Allevato <clsal...@gbl.com.br>
Subject config/8827: Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start ...
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2001 18:41:31 GMT

>Number:         8827
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start ...
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Dear Sir!

Iīve been using the APACHE WEB SERVER V1.3.22, with modules MOD_SSL V2.8.5 and
OpenSSL V0.9.6b, on my Intranet environment (IP 10.6.112.20, hostname
www.intendencia.dabm.mar.mil.br), with Windows NT/2000 Professional Edition.

The port 80 is used for HTTP protocol and port 443 for HTTPS protocol,
trouble-free.

Now I need to make this server available for free remote access through
INTERNET using REVERSE PROXY from Novell BorderManager software, installed in
another machine, with a different IP number (200.244.241.60).

The purpose of REVERSE PROXY is to allow the INTERNET access to APACHE WEB
SERVER (still installed in the INTRANET environment), with a high level of
security. When the access to APACHE SERVER is requested, the REVERSE PROXY
substitutes the IP 10.6.112.20 for the Novell BorderManager IP number.

In this new configuration I can only start the APACHE SERVICE (Windows NT/2000)
using Port 80. Including the LISTEN 443 directive in http.conf archive,
without qualifying the SSL directives, I can also boot the APACHE SERVER and
gain access through PORT 443 (http://www.inytendencia.dabm.mar.mil.br:443).

If Including the LISTEN www.intendencia.dabm.mar.mil.br:443 directive in
http.conf archive, the boot the Apache Server cancel and in server.log display
"[crit] (2)No such file or directory: make_sock: could not bind to address
200.244.241.60 port 443", where IP 200.244.241.60 is the IP of machine where
REVERSE PROXY from Novell BorderManager software run.

With LISTEN 443 only, when I qualify the SSL directives in order to load the
certificates emitted for host www.intendencia.dabm.mar.mil.br the APACHE
SERVICE does not respond to boot, appearing in the console of Windows NT/2000
the following message:
"Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control  request in
timely fashion". On the SERVICE SCREEN in Windows NT/2000 the APACHE SERVICE
is with the status "starting".

SSL directives in httpd.conf:

SSLMutex sem
SSLRandomSeed startup builtin
SSLSessionCache none
SSLLog logs/SSL.log
SSLLogLevel warn
<VirtualHost 10.6.112.20:443>
ServerName www.intendencia.dabm.mar.mil.br
ServerAdmin admin@dabm.mar.mil.br
DocumentRoot "D:/Apache Group/Apache/htdocs"
SSLEngine On
SSLCertificateFile conf/ssl/www.intendencia.dabm.mar.mil.br.crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile conf/ssl/www.intendencia.dabm.mar.mil.br.key
</VirtualHost>

After a lot of attempts I decided to write to report my problem, also because
I donīt know what else to do, and finally to ask if you have any idea how to
solve it. Is it a reported bug or possibly a configuration mistake?

Thanks in advance.

Cesar Luiz Sovat Allevato
(clsallev@gbl.com.br or allevato@dabm.mar.mil.br)
>How-To-Repeat: