www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: general/8679: Major memory usage with lots of vhosts.
Date Sun, 11 Nov 2001 20:30:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/8679; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Johan Mulder <johan@immortal.localhost.nl>
Cc: Apache bugs database <apbugs@apache.org>
Subject: Re: general/8679: Major memory usage with lots of vhosts.
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 12:25:26 -0800 (PST)

 On 5 Nov 2001, Johan Mulder wrote:

 > The following reply was made to PR general/8679; it has been noted by GNATS.
 >
 > From: Johan Mulder <johan@immortal.localhost.nl>
 > To: slive@apache.org
 > Cc: apbugs@Apache.Org
 > Subject: Re: general/8679: Major memory usage with lots of vhosts.
 > Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 21:01:07 +0100
 >
 >  On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 05:15:21PM -0000, slive@apache.org wrote:
 >  > Synopsis: Major memory usage with lots of vhosts.
 >  >
 >  > State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
 >  > State-Changed-By: slive
 >  > State-Changed-When: Mon Nov  5 09:15:21 PST 2001
 >  > State-Changed-Why:
 >  >
 >  > In a situation like this, you really need to use mod_vhost_alias or a similar
technique so that you don't bulk up your httpd.conf with thousands of individual vhost blocks.
 That module is specifically designed to solve your problem.

 >  mod_vhost_alias doesn't support suexec. Your answer doesn't solve
 >  the problem of eating up a lot of memory with large configurations.
 >  I would like to have this bug report reopened and have it looked at
 >  seriously.

 There isn't anything to look at.  If you want the flexibility of Apache's
 configuration syntax, then it requires a lot of memory for each vhost.

 You can minimize this by setting as few directives as possible within each
 vhost (move defaults outside, to the main server config), but a bunch of
 memory is still required.  If your OS can gracefully handle a lot of
 shared pages between processes, this isn't much of a problem.  If your OS
 can't handle it... there isn't much we can do.