www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Greg Pietro <greg.pie...@fairchildsemi.com>
Subject os-hpux/8705: httpd daemon creates a defunct shared memory segment when started
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2001 20:07:05 GMT

>Number:         8705
>Category:       os-hpux
>Synopsis:       httpd daemon creates a defunct shared memory segment when started
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I have compile 3 different version of apache 1.3.1, 1.3.20, and 1.3.22 with to different version
of gcc 2.8.1 and gcc 2.9.5.  All create a defunct shared memory segment when started.

example:

Note:  The capital "D" indicates that the segment is defunct, or that a segment has been deleted
with proccesses still attached

# ipcs -pm
IPC status from /dev/kmem as of Wed Nov  7 14:57:20 2001
T      ID     KEY        MODE        OWNER     GROUP  CPID  LPID
Shared Memory:
m    5123 0x00000000 D-rw-------       web     psoft  3637  3637

# ps -fp 3637
     UID   PID  PPID  C    STIME TTY       TIME COMMAND
    root  3637     1  0  Oct 29  ?         1:23 /opt/apache/sbin/httpd
>How-To-Repeat:
The problem is very easy to repeat.  Just compile apache with the standard directives and
start the httpd daemon (apachectl start). I have reproduced it on a hp-ux 10.20 and 11.0 system.
>Fix:
A shared memory segment is defunct when the associated shared memory segment has been removed,
however there are processes still attached to it.  You can probably fix it by detaching all
the proccesses from the segment before deleting it.