www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Todd Vierling ...@pobox.com>
Subject general/8681: One of the Apache core group members is sending spam (UBE)
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2001 15:05:04 GMT

>Number:         8681
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       One of the Apache core group members is sending spam (UBE)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
One particular, "respected" ASF founder has been caught sending out unsolicited bulk e-mail
(UBE) under the guise of the Apache Software Foundation.  The e-mail addresses were collected
from various places; I'd conjecture that mine was snarfed from this very bug database.  However,
the mail has *ZERO* relevance to the specific bug reports or e-mail I've sent to the ASF,
thus making this mail *unsolicited*.

I wish I didn't have to go this far, but given Mr. Fielding's position within the ASF, this
has to be made public knowledge to the Project; also, this will provide public justification
for me to add ebuilt.net's netblocks into my public mail IP blackhole list.

If, indeed, the ASF commissioned this UBE and admits to same, I can reasonably predict that
all hell will break loose on several anti-spam discussion lists.  This type of snafu warrants
a public apology from any party participating in the distribution of the UBE, particularly
if the ASF endorsed it.

Remember, UBE from an organization is no different from UBE from a company or even UBE from
a person sending a chain letter.  If it's unsolicited, it doesn't belong in my mailbox.  Doubly
so, if it describes currency changing hands (even as a "donation" to the ASF, as below).

UBE is attached:

========== BEGIN ==========
To: tv@pobox.com
Subject: CMU economic survey on open source
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 23:15:54 -0800
From: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@ebuilt.com>

Dear Apache Contributor,

I'm contacting you today because you have been identified as a contributor
to the Apache software projects.  I would like to ask for your support for
an academic survey that is investigating motivations for participation
in the Apache projects.  This research is being undertaken by
Dr. Il-Horn Hann and Jeff Roberts from Carnegie Mellon University,
with my assistance in data collection and interpretation of the final
results.

The project is designed to investigate various theories regarding
participation in open source development projects.  Researching these
questions requires collecting information at the individual level.
For this purpose, we have designed a web-based survey that will ask
questions regarding your Apache as well as other open source
participation, general demographics, and work and earnings histories.
The section on your Apache contribution will present you with some of
your contributions to the Apache project and ask you questions about them.

The responses from this survey will be aggregated and only summary
statistics for large groups of respondents will be reported.  Under no
circumstances will individual responses be revealed. Your individual
proposal has been reviewed and approved by Carnegie Mellon's
Institutional Review Board, which is charged with safeguarding the
interests of research participants.

In addition, we have taken the following steps to ensure the security
of any data collected.  All responses are recorded using your
participant "alias" only. At my request, the survey is being collected
using an SSL Apache server and physical access to the server is restricted
to Dr. Il-Horn Hann and Jeff Roberts.  I will not have access to the
data from the individual responses to the survey.

Filling out the survey will provide real data for an academic study
of a topic that has, in the past, been supported only by conjecture and
opinion.  In addition, Carnegie Mellon University will donate $10 for
every completed survey to the Apache Software Foundation, up to a
maximum of $10,000.

If you are willing to contribute to this survey, please use an SSL-capable
Web browser to select the following link specific to your e-mail address:

https://opensource.gsia.cmu.edu/survey/index.cgi?login=A116F&pw=115524

If you happen to receive this message more than once, please accept my
apologies -- I tried to remove anything that looked like an old address
or discussion group.

Regards,

Roy T. Fielding, Ph.D.
Chairman, The Apache Software Foundation
Chief Scientist, eBuilt
http://www.ebuilt.com/fielding/
>How-To-Repeat:
Send mail to an aggregated list of e-mail addresses randomly collected from various places
like this bug database, where such e-mail has no relevance to the source of the addresses
(such as specific bug reports).
>Fix:
Chastise member in question; issue public apology on Web site and possibly anti-spam discussion
forums.