www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: os-windows/8652: Installing as a Service Doesn't Work
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2001 07:50:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-windows/8652; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@covalent.net>
To: <apache-bugdb@apache.org>,
	<dennisn@pe.net>,
	<submit@bugz.apache.org>
Subject: Re: os-windows/8652: Installing as a Service Doesn't Work
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 01:41:50 -0600

 From: "Dennis Newbold" <dennisn@pe.net>
 Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 10:28 AM

 > >Environment:
 > Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002

 Certainly untested yet - XP Home will hopefully be supportable.

 > When I installed Apache, I specified that I wanted it installed as a Service.
 > After the installation completed, I looked at the list of installed services,
 > and Apache was not listed. [...]

 It did not install as a service, for whatever reason, 'as a service' was not
 toggled in spite of your choice.

 Permissions become very odd in the XP Home edition [it is an NT, after all, but
 with much logic to keep 'home' users from hurting themselves.]

 Try the following, in a command window of the c:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache
 directory;

 apache -k install -n Apache

 Please report the effect.  The follow commands should then work;

 apache -k start -n Apache
 apache -k stop -n Apache

 > >Fix:
 > No.  I'd have to dig through the source code, which I don't know at all.  And
 > I'm not even sure the source code release includes the installation logic.

 No, it does not.  It is available from anonymous cvs (see http://dev.apache.org/)
 by checking out the httpd-win32-msi repository.  It is built with InstallShield
 for Windows Installer, v 2.03, so it won't be -directly- usable.  Of course, MSI
 packages are directly editable with orca from the Microsoft Installer SDK, so if
 you find the magic 'keys to the kingdom' feel free to provide feedback of the
 flag.  Current flags are VersionNT and Version9x, IIRC.

 If the apache -k commands don't work, then you might want to investigate the
 src/os/win32/service.c code that sets up, starts and stops the service using
 the WinNT Service Control Manager API.  That API may have slid for XP Home.