www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dennis Newbold <denn...@pe.net>
Subject os-windows/8652: Installing as a Service Doesn't Work
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2001 16:28:57 GMT

>Number:         8652
>Category:       os-windows
>Synopsis:       Installing as a Service Doesn't Work
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
When I installed Apache, I specified that I wanted it installed as a Service.
After the installation completed, I looked at the list of installed services,
and Apache was not listed.  I went into a DOS box, and typed "NET START APACHE".
I got an error message indicating that the service did not exist.  I clicked
on Start -> Programs -> Apache HTTP Web Server.  "Start Apache in Console"
was shown as an option, but "Start Apache as Service" was not.  I know that
the installation worked OK, because when I used netscape to go to
"http://<my website name>, I got the standard Apache index.html file (well,
first I had to do the other regular stuff -- rename index.html.en to index.html,
and edit httpd.conf to listen on my IP address and port no., etc.
>How-To-Repeat:
Try installing Apache 1.3.22 as a service onto Windows XP
>Fix:
No.  I'd have to dig through the source code, which I don't know at all.  And
I'm not even sure the source code release includes the installation logic.