www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <sl...@apache.org>
Subject RE: general/8625: Redirect Command In .htaccess Drops Concurrent Requests From The Same Client
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2001 17:10:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/8625; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Joshua Slive" <slive@apache.org>
To: <daveys@holycamel.com>
Cc: <apbugs@apache.org>
Subject: RE: general/8625: Redirect Command In .htaccess Drops Concurrent Requests From The
Same Client
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 12:10:05 -0500

 No it won't.  Serving a simple error page uses exactly the same bandwidth as
 serving a redirect.

 > I have been able to reproduce the problem with a single request from a URL
 > line using the log entries I sent (for the 400 or 404's).  Apache's string
 > matching shouldn't fail, no matter what the circumstance, as long as the
 > match string is present.

 This is not simple string matching.  Apache must apply the RFC to
 canonicalize the URL before it deals with it.  If it cannot do this because
 the URL is malformed, then 400 is the only correct response.  Even if it can
 do it, the resulting URL may look different than what you image from looking
 at the uncanoncialized form, and therefore may not match your redirect.

 > Also, by the way, it would be nice to be able to selectively omit those
 > requests from the log.  My server logs are a mess.  I want to
 > leave them set
 > to the warn level, but Apache really needs an "OmitLog" directive
 > that does
 > the same thing that Redirect does to prevent specific accesses
 > from clogging
 > the logs with unwanted garbage, impairing their effectiveness.

 Please check the docs.  There is now extensive documentation on how to do
 selective logging.

 Further discussion on this would be welcome in a user support forum, but not
 in the bug database.

 Thanks!