www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "Davey Silon" <dav...@holycamel.com>
Subject RE: general/8625: Redirect Command In .htaccess Drops Concurrent Requests From The Same Client
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2001 16:50:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/8625; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Davey Silon" <daveys@holycamel.com>
To: <slive@apache.org>
Cc: <apbugs@apache.org>
Subject: RE: general/8625: Redirect Command In .htaccess Drops Concurrent Requests From The
Same Client
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 08:45:04 -0800

 hi,

 Thanks for the reply. I understand the inherent nature of the worm URLs I
 was sending.  However, the point of using redirect is to reduce bandwidth
 served by our servers, which have gotten literally thousands of badly-formed
 worm requests.  Not serving pages like a 404 or 400 page for those requests
 will save bandwidth.

 I have been able to reproduce the problem with a single request from a URL
 line using the log entries I sent (for the 400 or 404's).  Apache's string
 matching shouldn't fail, no matter what the circumstance, as long as the
 match string is present.  That is currently not the case.  Whatever
 expression matching Apache is using is obviously not sufficiently robust,
 since the Redirect is not working.  The source of the request shouldn't
 matter - worm or not.  The redirect expression matching is failing, and that
 should be cause enough for action.  String matching problems are some of the
 easiest ones to fix and if it improves overall robustness, it's a good
 cause.

 Also, by the way, it would be nice to be able to selectively omit those
 requests from the log.  My server logs are a mess.  I want to leave them set
 to the warn level, but Apache really needs an "OmitLog" directive that does
 the same thing that Redirect does to prevent specific accesses from clogging
 the logs with unwanted garbage, impairing their effectiveness.

 I really love Apache and think it is a great product.  Fixing redirect and
 adding an OmitLog command would really help make it impervious to stupid
 MS-based worms.  If there is some way to accomplish the OmitLog function in
 the current version, I'd love to know.

 Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I apreciate your help.  I know you
 guys must be busy, but I think in the current climate with MS Worms, these
 are very worthy bugs to address to improve server performance.

 Sincerely,

 Davey Silon