www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Iain Truskett <...@eh.org>
Subject mod_negotiation/8628: Multiviews clearing query_string
Date Sun, 28 Oct 2001 00:09:46 GMT

>Number:         8628
>Category:       mod_negotiation
>Synopsis:       Multiviews clearing query_string
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
linux 2.2.14-5.0 #1 (redhat 6.1)
gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)

and also:

linux 2.4.2-2 #1 (redhat 7.1)
gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-81)
Basically, if Apache has to resolve a URI using multiviews, then it discards the query_string
part of the request.

In the examples below, you will note that QUERY_STRING has content with the qtest.cgi requests,
but not with the qtest requests.

It's quite possible that this bug was introduced as a sideeffect to fixing the bug mentioned
in the 1.3.22 release notes, but don't hold me to that:
     * A vulnerability was found when Multiviews are used to negotiate
       the directory index. In some configurations, requesting a URI with
       a QUERY_STRING of M=D could return a directory listing rather than
       the expected index page.  CAN-2001-0731

The qtest.cgi script consists of:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
use CGI;
use Data::Dumper;

my $q = new CGI;
print $q->header(), $q->start_html('Hi!');
print $q->pre(Dumper(\%ENV,$q->param));
print $q->end_html;
http://brucehall.anu.edu.au/qtest?test=ict
http://brucehall.anu.edu.au/qtest.cgi?test=ict