www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From cameron gregory <came...@bloke.com>
Subject Re: mod_log-any/8493: SIGXFSZ when log file > 2gb
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2001 02:00:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_log-any/8493; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: cameron gregory <cameron@bloke.com>
To: marc@apache.org
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: mod_log-any/8493: SIGXFSZ when log file > 2gb
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 21:59:12 -0400

 G'Day Marc,
 	No worries, and I agree it's mostly an admin problem,
 but perhaps the a good addition is to catch sigfilesz and
 write a warning, but don't exit the child, at least the machine
 wouldn't trash so much under this condition (we currently would fill
 the log file to 2gig in 3-5 days, so it perceivable that this could
 happen in less than one day).

 [I was suprised that r/h had the 2gig limit...]

 thanks,

 cameron

 marc@apache.org wrote:

 > [In order for any reply to be added to the PR database, you need]
 > [to include <apbugs@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]
 > [subject line starts with the report component and number, with ]
 > [or without any 'Re:' prefixes (such as "general/1098:" or      ]
 > ["Re: general/1098:").  If the subject doesn't match this       ]
 > [pattern, your message will be misfiled and ignored.  The       ]
 > ["apbugs" address is not added to the Cc line of messages from  ]
 > [the database automatically because of the potential for mail   ]
 > [loops.  If you do not include this Cc, your reply may be ig-   ]
 > [nored unless you are responding to an explicit request from a  ]
 > [developer.  Reply only with text; DO NOT SEND ATTACHMENTS!     ]
 >
 > Synopsis: SIGXFSZ when log file > 2gb
 >
 > State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
 > State-Changed-By: marc
 > State-Changed-When: Wed Oct 10 18:36:08 PDT 2001
 > State-Changed-Why:
 > Apache can not "force a rotate" since it is up to the admin to configure how and when
they want logs rotated.  It is also not the case that all systems have such 2 gig file size
limits.
 >  And Apache can not magically reopen logfiles without a server restart due to the server
architecture.

 > It is really up to the admin to make sure that they have some type of log rotation in
place so that log files don't get too big.  There is no "proper" way Apache can handle this
condition; it is a fatal error on the part of the admin to let a logfile hit  maximum filesize
limit...

 --

 - I get a lot of email, please include previous message in reply.
 Cameron Gregory - http://www.bloke.com/  -  cameron@bloke.com