www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: os-windows/8652: Installing as a Service Doesn't Work
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2001 07:41:50 GMT
From: "Dennis Newbold" <dennisn@pe.net>
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 10:28 AM

> >Environment:
> Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002

Certainly untested yet - XP Home will hopefully be supportable.

> When I installed Apache, I specified that I wanted it installed as a Service.
> After the installation completed, I looked at the list of installed services,
> and Apache was not listed. [...]

It did not install as a service, for whatever reason, 'as a service' was not
toggled in spite of your choice.

Permissions become very odd in the XP Home edition [it is an NT, after all, but
with much logic to keep 'home' users from hurting themselves.]

Try the following, in a command window of the c:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache
directory;

apache -k install -n Apache

Please report the effect.  The follow commands should then work;

apache -k start -n Apache
apache -k stop -n Apache

> >Fix:
> No.  I'd have to dig through the source code, which I don't know at all.  And
> I'm not even sure the source code release includes the installation logic.

No, it does not.  It is available from anonymous cvs (see http://dev.apache.org/)
by checking out the httpd-win32-msi repository.  It is built with InstallShield
for Windows Installer, v 2.03, so it won't be -directly- usable.  Of course, MSI
packages are directly editable with orca from the Microsoft Installer SDK, so if
you find the magic 'keys to the kingdom' feel free to provide feedback of the
flag.  Current flags are VersionNT and Version9x, IIRC.

If the apache -k commands don't work, then you might want to investigate the
src/os/win32/service.c code that sets up, starts and stops the service using
the WinNT Service Control Manager API.  That API may have slid for XP Home.