www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Coates Carter <ccar...@richmond.edu>
Subject os-solaris/8419: parent cannot start child processes
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:24:07 GMT

>Number:         8419
>Category:       os-solaris
>Synopsis:       parent cannot start child processes
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Apache 2.0.16b compiled and installed with no problems.  When apachectl starts the parent,
it records the wrong pid in /usr/local/apache2/logs/httpd.pid.  The value recorded is always
the real pid minus one.  So 'apachectl stop' doesn't know what process to kill.

Also, when the parent tries to spawn a child, I see this error in error_log:
[alert] (22)Invalid argument: setgid: unable to set group id to 4294967295
[alert] Child 2130 returned a Fatal error... Apache is exiting!

The parent's pid was 2128, but httpd.pid contained 2127.