www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From John Lange <john.la...@darkcore.net>
Subject config/8365: SSL VirtualHosts serve the wrong CERTs.
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2001 16:45:00 GMT

>Number:         8365
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       SSL VirtualHosts serve the wrong CERTs.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Yes, I know that SSL doesn't work with VirtualHosts on the same IP (they all require their
own IP). This is an issue that I think should be addressed, but aside from that, there is
a bit of a bug in its behaviour.

Before I discovered that they needed seperate IPs, I tried to setup two virtual SSL hosts
as follows:

--- snip ---
# Virtual host "a"
<VirtualHost 10.1.1.1:443>
  DocumentRoot /var/www/htdocs/a
  ServerName www.a.com
  SSLEngine on
  SSLCertificateFile /etc/ssl/a.crt
</VirtualHost>

# Virtual host "b"
<VirtualHost 10.1.1.1:443>
  DocumentRoot /var/www/htdocs/b
  ServerName www.b.com
  SSLEngine on
  SSLCertificateFile /etc/ssl/b.crt
</VirtualHost>
--- end snip ---

If you then surf to https://www.b.com, you will indeed get the DocumentRoot /var/www/htdocs/b
, but you will get the CERT from /etc/ssl/a.crt .

While I fully understand that it should never be configured in this way, what Apache should
NEVER do, is combine the contents of multiple VirtualHost directives in the same client session.

I should also like to mention that not being able to use VirtualHosts with SSL isn't mentioned
anyplace in the Apache documentation that I could find and it is totaly non-obvious to someone
who doesn't understand the complexities of the SSL protocol (like me) why you can't do this.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Making SSL work with VirtualHosts would be the best, but I assume there is some technical
reason why this isn't possible or it would have been done before.

Alternatively "apachectl configtest" should test for SSL VirtualHosts on the same IP and report
it. "apachectl startssl" should refuse to start if more than one cert is bound to the same
IP.

and,

I feel it warrents a mention in the core Apache docs in the <VirtualHost> section so
people don't fall into the same trap I did.

Keep up the excellent work :)