www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Michael Caplan <...@tao.ca>
Subject general/8337: Error log reporting warnings of malloc() and free() in recursive calls
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2001 18:40:17 GMT

>Number:         8337
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Error log reporting warnings of malloc() and free() in recursive calls
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Hi,

I am now running Apache 1.3.20 (Unix) on FreeBSD 4.4-RC and have been
noticing that the Apache error log is filling its self rapidly with the
following warnings:

httpd in malloc(): warning: recursive call.
httpd in malloc(): warning: recursive call.
httpd in malloc(): warning: recursive call.
httpd in malloc(): warning: recursive call.
httpd in malloc(): warning: recursive call.
httpd in free(): warning: recursive call.
httpd in free(): warning: recursive call.
httpd in free(): warning: recursive call.
httpd in free(): warning: recursive call.
httpd in free(): warning: recursive call.
httpd in free(): warning: recursive call.
httpd in free(): warning: recursive call.

The error log reports no SIGSEGVs.

I updated from Apache 1.3.18 to see if this would resolve the issue.
Originally, as this warning was manifesting in the error log, httpd was also
bringing our server to a halt while it ate memory like mad.  It is no longer
(for the time being) eating memory, but the warning persists.

Present Compiled-in modules:
  http_core.c
  mod_env.c
  mod_log_config.c
  mod_mime.c
  mod_negotiation.c
  mod_status.c
  mod_include.c
  mod_autoindex.c
  mod_dir.c
  mod_cgi.c
  mod_asis.c
  mod_imap.c
  mod_actions.c
  mod_speling.c
  mod_userdir.c
  mod_alias.c
  mod_rewrite.c
  mod_access.c
  mod_auth.c
  mod_so.c
  mod_setenvif.c
  mod_perl.c
  mod_php4.c
  mod_rewrite.c
  mod_speling.c
  mod_so.c
  mod_gzip.c
suexec: disabled; invalid wrapper /usr/local/apache/bin/suexec

Server version: Apache/1.3.20 (Unix)
Server built:   Sep 13 2001 22:22:13
Server's Module Magic Number: 19990320:10
Server compiled with....
 -D HAVE_MMAP
 -D USE_MMAP_SCOREBOARD
 -D USE_MMAP_FILES
 -D USE_FLOCK_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D SHARED_CORE
 -D HTTPD_ROOT="/usr/local/apache"
 -D SUEXEC_BIN="/usr/local/apache/bin/suexec"
 -D SHARED_CORE_DIR="/usr/local/apache/libexec"
 -D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="logs/httpd.pid"
 -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="logs/httpd.scoreboard"
 -D DEFAULT_LOCKFILE="logs/httpd.lock"
 -D DEFAULT_XFERLOG="logs/access_log"
 -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="logs/error_log"
 -D TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="conf/mime.types"
 -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="conf/httpd.conf"
 -D ACCESS_CONFIG_FILE="conf/access.conf"
 -D RESOURCE_CONFIG_FILE="conf/srm.conf"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael Caplan

>How-To-Repeat: