www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Tor Jonsson <tor.jons...@vd.volvo.se>
Subject mod_proxy/8277: URI escaping in the proxy module
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2001 14:05:32 GMT

>Number:         8277
>Category:       mod_proxy
>Synopsis:       URI escaping in the proxy module
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
When setting up the Apache as a reverse proxy against a server the proxy module
escapes the tilde ~ character in the URI. Rfc2396 states that this escaping
is not required.
Some applications I try to reach through the reverse proxy doesn't unescape the URI properly
(Stupid applications running on IIS).
I know this is a bug in the target server to not unescape the URI but since this
workaround complies with the rfc I think it should be implemented.
>How-To-Repeat:
httpd.conf
ServerName myreverseproxy.com
ProxyPass / http://mytarget.com/
ProxyPassReverse / http://mytarget.com/

Original request:
http://myreverseproxy.com/test/~blaha
This will render in:
http://mytarget.com/test/%7Eblaha
>Fix:
Add the tilde character to allowed characters in function ap_proxy_canonenc in proxy_util.c