www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Matt Hackett <mhack...@ese.ogi.edu>
Subject mod_status/8227: mod_status (somethimes) causes DNS lookup despite HostnameLookups directive
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2001 22:00:56 GMT

>Number:         8227
>Category:       mod_status
>Synopsis:       mod_status (somethimes) causes DNS lookup despite HostnameLookups directive
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I have the /stats/server-status location set to the mod_status (server-status) handler. DNS
lookups are disabled, and don't occur in any other instances except when I request the server
status page. It tends not to lookup the first request, but subsequent almost always get looked
up.

I've been able to replicate this on another server with both remote and local (same computer
as server) requests for the page. I've also replicated the problem with the HTTP authentication
directives commented out.

This isn't a major problem, it just trips up my (and others', I assume) statistics gatherers.

Clipping from httpd.conf:
   [...]
   HostnameLookups Off
   ExtendedStatus On
   [...]
   <Location /stats/server-status>
     SetHandler server-status
     Order deny,allow
     Deny from all
     Allow from ese.ogi.edu
     AuthType Basic
     AuthName "Web Stats"
     Require user admin
   </Location>
>How-To-Repeat:
If you setup the server status location and refresh a few times on a server with HostnameLookups
disabled, it will become apparent.