www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Henrik Johansson <h...@medio.mh.se>
Subject general/8212: Server sometimes doesn't start because of RewriteRule-error
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2001 22:52:26 GMT

>Number:         8212
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Server sometimes doesn't start because of RewriteRule-error
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
SunOS blerik 5.7 Generic_111437-01 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10

> bin/httpd -v
Compiled-in modules:
  http_core.c
  mod_env.c
  mod_log_config.c
  mod_mime.c
  mod_negotiation.c
  mod_status.c
  mod_include.c
  mod_autoindex.c
  mod_dir.c
  mod_cgi.c
  mod_asis.c
  mod_imap.c
  mod_actions.c
  mod_userdir.c
  mod_alias.c
  mod_access.c
  mod_auth.c
  mod_so.c
  mod_setenvif.c
  mod_ssl.c
  mod_php4.c
  mod_perl.c
suexec: disabled; invalid wrapper /usr/private/apache/bin/suexec
Sometimes the server complains of bad syntax on two RewriteRule-lines with the result that
the server doesn't start.
The lines (submitted below) are neaded as errorhandling for our proxyserver and works properly
when the server accepts them.
Sometimes after "commenting out, restarting, putting back, restarting"-trialing the server
may start as wanted.
It's curious when it seems to be randomly if the server starts or not.

The server is always started with 'apachectl startssl'

httpd.conf:
#trailing slash
RewriteRule ^/~([a-z0-9\-\.]*)(\/?)([a-z0-9\-_\/]*[^/])$ http://%{SERVER_NAME}/~$1$2$3/
              [R,NC]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI}              !^/ssi
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI}              !^/pics
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI}              !^/cgi-bin
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI}              !^/icons
RewriteRule ^/([a-z0-9\-_\/]*[^/])$     http://%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/
              [R,NC]

>How-To-Repeat:
bin/apachectl startssl
bin/apachectl restart

But maybe you will not see any error, when it seems to be randomly if the error occurs or
not.
>Fix:
nope