www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Chris S. <ch...@yesiknow.net>
Subject general/8194: Missing AddLanguage line causes apache to serve wrong language to browser
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2001 17:13:00 GMT

>Number:         8194
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Missing AddLanguage line causes apache to serve wrong language to browser
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I've recently downloaded the BINARY distribution of apache_1.3.20 from
http://httpd.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/solaris/apache_1.3.20-sun4u-sun-solaris2.280.tar.gz

After complete installation and proper configuration, I was getting garbled text when trying
to view the default test page (eg. http://www.example.com/ ) with my Windows IE-5 browser
which is set to "en-us" for a default language.  After much troubleshooting, I noticed that
the AddLanguage line for the "zh" language had been left out of the httpd.conf that comes
with the dist.  With this line missing, apache was serving the "index.html.zh.Big5" file even
though my browser is asking for English. (which should result in "index.html.en" being served)
>How-To-Repeat:
Use the binary dist for Solaris at:
http://httpd.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/solaris/apache_1.3.20-sun4u-sun-solaris2.280.tar.gz

And view the default page from an IE5 browser.
>Fix:
Add the line:

AddLanguage zh .zh

to httpd.conf and restart.  Nice and simple.