www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Jungshik Shin <js...@mailaps.org>
Subject config/8153: Incorrect language code and charset name used for Korean
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2001 21:24:18 GMT

>Number:         8153
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       Incorrect language code and charset name used for Korean
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
In commonhttpd.conf, there are the following lines
for Korean:

    AddLanguage kr .kr
    AddCharset ISO-2022-KR .iso-kr

  First of all, the language code for Korean is NOT
'kr' BUT 'ko'. 'kr' is the country code for
the Republic of Korea (South Korea). ('kp' is
for the Democratic People's Republic of Korea : North
Korea).

  Secondly, virtually nobody uses ISO-2022-KR
for web pages. I have to yet to find a single web page
in Korean encoded in ISO 2022-KR. Most Korean
(except for some new web pages encoded in UTF-8
and X-Windows-949 which is an proprietary extension
of EUC-KR by Microsoft) are encoded in EUC-KR.
(see http://pantheon.yale.edu/~jshin/faq/qa8.html ).

  Therefore, your example above should be:

  AddLanguage ko .ko
  AddCharset EUC-KR .euc-kr

  It'd be very nice if you could kindly address
this soon.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
As I wrote above, two sample lines should read

  AddLanguage ko .ko
  AddCharset EUC-KR .euc-kr