www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Stefek Zaba <stefek_z...@hp.com>
Subject general/8146: 1.3.x logfiles show only client IP addr; can change to gethostbyaddr in 1 line
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2001 17:34:44 GMT

>Number:         8146
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       1.3.x logfiles show only client IP addr; can change to gethostbyaddr in
1 line
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
An old version of apache (1.2.5) used to put hostnames, rather than dotted-quad
addresses only, into the error_log file, according to the setting of the
HostnameLookups directive. By 1.3.20 this has changed to dotted-quads only, and
the source (line 398 of src/main/http_log.c) makes the comment "TODO: add a
method of selecting whether logged client addresses are in dotted quad or
resolved form".

There's a one-line fix to get this functionality: change the
last arg in the call to ap_sprintf from r->connection->remote_ip to
  ap_get_remote_host(r->connection, r->per_dir_config, REMOTE_NAME)
This already-written routine already does the checks for HostnameLookups, doing
a once-only optimisation (admittedly only per connection, not per-IP-addr as
the external post-processing tool "logresolve" does).

In these times of the CodeRed worm flap, I find it useful on lower-volume
webservers to have the client name directly in the logfile, rather than needing
to do post-processing to map IP addrs to hostnames.
>How-To-Repeat:
Design decision present in 1.3.20 (and probably earlier versions).
>Fix:
See above: one-line patch to call existing routine. Warning - I'm no apache
hacker, I've just coded this by symmetry with other calls to get_remote_host;
but it Works Fine For Me :-)