www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "Rüdiger" "Plüm" <r.pl...@gmx.de>
Subject mod_log-any/8127: Logfiles are written as root, rotatelogs is started as root if apache is started by root
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2001 20:55:44 GMT

>Number:         8127
>Category:       mod_log-any
>Synopsis:       Logfiles are written as root, rotatelogs is started as root if apache
is started by root
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
If apache is started by root as it is needed if you want to bind a priviliged
port then all logfiles configured in Errorlog, Customlog and Transferlog
directives are written by root. Even worse, if you use the pipe feature of
these directives the programs that process the piped logdata are also
running with uid 0.
>How-To-Repeat:
Obvious
>Fix:
Since it is basicly a bad thing running programs with uid 0 or writing files
as root if it is not needed I would appreciate if could add either a directive
or even better a command line option to httpd which allows to set the uid and
the gid used for writing logfiles and for running programs that process
the piped logdata.
IMHO this would have the following advantages:
1. root can prevent symlink attacks to root owned files once and forever.
2. vulnerabilities in programs that are used to process piped logdata do not
   have very harmful impacts to the whole system.

Since I am not a programer I can not suggest any patches for the apache sources.
Sorry.

Thanks in advance and kind regards

Rüdiger Plüm