www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: mod_autoindex/8206: links to subdirectories are missing the terminating / in indexing if fancy indexing is not chosen.
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2001 08:19:32 GMT
From: "Hannes Gruber" <h.gruber@gmx.net>
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2001 2:50 PM

>  Great, it works like this. Thank you.
>
>  but I have some questions still if you don`t mind.
>
>  -) What is the intention to have fancy indexing different from the list form?

The old 'list form' (plain) was far faster.  Unfortunately, it also potentially displayed
files that, while not accessable to the user, perhaps advertised things you did not want
them aware of.  Apache 2.0 now runs all listings through the same subrequest mechansim,
and if they are declined, it chooses not to display them.

This process causes a lot more cpu, with the advantage that we know if the file is a
directory, so the trailing slash can be displayed on plain autoindex listings.

>  -) and something compleatly different: as it is not possible to asign
>  absolute path for the location of
>        HeaderName .head
>        ReadmeName .read

Try an absolute URI, as documented (e.g. /indexes/.head instead of /www/docroot/indexes/.head)