www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: os-windows/8187: if a filename is not english, sometimes, apache will return error code 403, access forbidden.
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2001 07:45:13 GMT
From: <slive@apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2001 9:02 AM

> Yah, OK.  I have no idea what is going on here,
> so I will re-open the problem report to see
> if anyone else can help.

His issue looks like canonical case folding bogosity.  Apache 1.3 on Win32
(and perhaps some other obscure systems) only supported ASCII-7 URI's
(even though others sometimes appeared to work.)

Apache 2.0 on Win32 uses UTF-8 internally to map filenames into the Unicode
filesystem (well, at least on NT and 2000, that is.)

We obviously need some ap_os_filename_lower() fn that will map characters
based on the server's _filesystem's_ code page.  In fact, I'll be working
that up next week for UTF-8, and expect that mapping for the 'local code page'
of a 9x server should be trivial, as well.

However, these case foldings on Win9x are _not_ in UTF-8, they are the local
code page of the server.  So mapping into the filesystem with extended (non-ASCII)
characters on 9x will always remain a little odd.

Yet another reason we don't recommend running Apache on 'consumer' os's.

Bill