www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Tom Grindrod <...@omg.org>
Subject config/8107: Apache keeping files open to long
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2001 15:36:23 GMT

>Number:         8107
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       Apache keeping files open to long
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
each apache process is opening 150+ files multiplied by 60-80 connections. Most of the file
are log files for virtual hosts. Apache will continue to grab file descriptors no matter how
high I set file-max in linux and it never releases them, so I am constanly running out of
files and have to reboot.
Is there a fix for this, it is killing our web site. Is it possible not to log for virtal
host?? If this is possible I can remove the logging entries as a temp solution. Still the
big problem is Apache needs to release the files when there are not many processes running,
else I will continue to have this issue and need to reboot daily which is not acceptable.
>How-To-Repeat:
Doesn't show a problem on URLS. Errors show up on the system itself. OR the machine slows
  to a crawl and needs to be booted.
>Fix:
I have tried increasing max-files and max-inodes etc... , but that just gives me an extra
day before Apache eats all the file descriptors up and I have to boot.