www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Daniel Chemko <dche...@feelthegrey.com>
Subject build/8071: It is way too hard to cross compile Apache, even with GNU autoconf
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2001 05:28:28 GMT

>Number:         8071
>Category:       build
>Synopsis:       It is way too hard to cross compile Apache, even with GNU autoconf
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
Redhat Linux 7.1, Compiler modified

Native x86: GCC 2.95.3 Binutils 2.10.1 glibc 2.2.2
Cross  ARM: GCC 2.95.3 Binutils 2.10.1 glibc 2.1.3
*deep breath*

I find it nearly impossible to compile apache using a cross compiler. I am using the standard
ARM Linux cross compiler.

The problem with the current system is that one does not discriminate simple boundaries between
what programs are built during the build process, and what programs are built for the "host"
platform.

EG: pcre
the srclib/pcre directory has rdtables, which needs to be a native system tools to run during
build time, but it also needs libpcre.a which is built to be for the "host" system. This breaks,
and requires a really bad hack to get the thing to compile:
<make dies>rdtables cannot run because compiled for wrong architecture
<edit>top_srcdir/config_vars.mk so that the system is natively compiling
make
mv rdtables rdtables.1
make clean
<edit>top_srcdir/config_vars.mk back so that the system is cross compiling
make

There are other parts as well that fall into this horrible situation, like top_srcdir/server/
>How-To-Repeat:
My original line was:
CC=arm-linux-gcc ./configure --host=arm-linux \
--target=arm-linux --build=i386-linux

To get through the configure scripts, the line was:
ac_cv_func_setpgrp_void=no ac_cv_maxsegsize=4096 CC=arm-linux-gcc \
./configure --with-shm=MMFILE --with-sem=FNCTL --host=arm-linux \ --target=arm-linux --build=i386-linux
When one runs make, all hell breaks loose.
>Fix:
1: The configure script options are fine, and do happen during many cross compiles, so ok.

2: Seperate all during-build tools from the rest of the tree somewhat like XFree86 does, and
build them on the criteria of the "build" machine, and build the rest according to the rules
of the "host" machine.