www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Milos Rackov <milos.rac...@psideo.com>
Subject mod_access/8026: Only 2 first passwords accepted from htpasswd
Date Sat, 14 Jul 2001 00:40:59 GMT

>Number:         8026
>Category:       mod_access
>Synopsis:       Only 2 first passwords accepted from htpasswd
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I have tried to set up protected irectories in the httpd.conf file using:
<Directory "/name/of/directory">
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName " "
        AuthUserFile /name/of/non/accessable/dir/.passwdfile
        require valid-user
</Directory>

Worked fine the first time, the second time, but the third time did not. When I have investigated
deeper, it seems that now all directories I have protected are accessable by only first two
users (one for the first dir, and the one for the second dir). I have created separate password
files using htpasswd. I have restarted/reloaded the server. Even if I rename/delete the password
files, still the same users have access to all dirs that are protected this way.

Does Apache somehow cache these passwords? What can I do to flush this cache?
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Upgrade of Apache is currently out of question on this machine.

I was thinking even of rebooting the whole server to completlu flush the memory, but this
is obviously kludge solution.