www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Andrew Thompson <andr...@quidnunc.com>
Subject general/8023: Ampersand cannot be escaped in server side include variables
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2001 16:47:16 GMT

>Number:         8023
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Ampersand cannot be escaped in server side include variables
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
Linux linux.quidnunc.int 2.2.14-5.0 #1 Tue Mar 7 21:07:39 EST 2000 i686 unknown

gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)
The following mod_include SSI code:
<!--#set var="Q_MAIN_HEADING" value="Issue 001 &ndash; QLogger" -->

Generates the HTML -

Issue 001 &amp;ndash; QLogger

ie, the ampersand is being escaped and converted into an &amp; HTML character entity.

None of the usual escaping tricks I tried \& '&' or && allowed me to get the
desired output (which is obviously &ndash;)

(BTW - your bug database seems to be at least partly broken. All queries return no results.)
>How-To-Repeat:
Create a page which uses the above server side include code and view it.
>Fix:
Why are you escaping & in this context? If it is necessary, then please allow escaping
& with a backslash \&