www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <ad...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: os-windows/7941: Apache hangs after around a day of use on medium load
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2001 03:20:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-windows/7941; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "William A. Rowe, Jr." <admin@rowe-clan.net>
To: <apache-bugdb@apache.org>, <Rajaram.Vasudev@newpower.com>,
        <submit@bugz.apache.org>
Subject: Re: os-windows/7941: Apache hangs after around a day of use on medium load
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 22:11:08 -0500

 > I have a production application running on Apache server with Tomcat as servlet engine.
The apache server fails to respond after
 regular interval of once a day.
 > There is no response from Apache when it happens and killing apache process is the only
way to get out of this mess.
 > All this time, if I try to run the app. through tomcat( port 8080),application is running
fine.

 > Need to know a solution sooner as this is becoming a big issue w.r.t dependability of
Apache on Win2000 m/c. The number of hits is
 not that large. Just 20-30 users connected at all time -  all day.

 There have been a number of patches, some quite subtle, that could have an
 effect on these problems.  Please upgrade Apache to 1.3.20 (necessary to avert
 a denial-of-service attack) and Tomcat 3.2.2, the combination of which may
 impact your issue.  If that doesn't solve the problem, please try to provide
 a useful amount of detail on the type of traffic that fails v.s. anything that
 still functions (does loading mod_status allow you to watch for dead connections,
 etc.)

 And you may wish to think about using the MaxRequestsPerChild argument.  Although
 there would be up to a one minute hiccup, if you can time it about once a day that
 shouldn't be all too noticable, and is preferable to your current problem.

 The other obvious point, what modules are used/loaded on this server?