www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Bjarne Ingelsson <bja...@sourcetech.se>
Subject general/7869: malformed header from script
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:17:58 GMT

>Number:         7869
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       malformed header from script
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I get "Internal Server Error" and the error-log states:
"malformed header from script. Bad header=HTTP/1.0 401 Unauthorized: c:/drivers/php/php.exe"
when running a PHP script which requests HTTP Authentication.

I was running 1.3.19 when I encountered the problem, and an upgrade to 1.3.20 did not solve
my problem.
I copied the file (a very small test-script, see below) to a Linux machine where it worked
like a dream. (I get the message box promping me for a user/password)
In the Linux (RH 6.2) machine I'm running 1.3.12 / PHP4.0.4pl1.

PHP Code snip:
<?
if(!isset($PHP_AUTH_USER))
{
  $COMPANY_NAME = "SourceTech AB";
  header("WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm=\"The Realm of $COMPANY_NAME\"");
  header("HTTP/1.0 401 Unauthorized");
  echo "<H3>Error bla bla try again</H3>\n";
  exit;
}
 else // A password is entered...
{