www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Stipe Tolj <t...@wapme-systems.de>
Subject os-windows/7838: Memory gets exhausted on systems with high load or long runtimes
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2001 01:22:48 GMT

>Number:         7838
>Category:       os-windows
>Synopsis:       Memory gets exhausted on systems with high load or long runtimes
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
It seems as if on Cygwin the SIGUSR1 signal which is called within main/http_main.c:perform_idle_server_maintenance()
when idle_count > ap_daemons_max_free has _no_ effect on the child. Apache tries to kill
that
specific (last) child within the scoreboard forever and therefore if certain load peaks are
served no childs are killed and memory gets exhausted.
>How-To-Repeat:
At least noticed on WinNT4sp6. I don't know if Cygwin 1.3.x is having the same problem with
signals. Maybe Win2k may be acting different too, but shouldn't be.

1) start httpd
2) ab -c 50 -n 1000 http://localhost/
3) see that last pid isn't killable using SIGUSR1 or SIGHUP (even SIGTERM)
4) repeat 2-3) and you'll see there are more and more httpd process childs
5) memory gets exhausted some time
>Fix:
On Cygwin platforms SIGKILL has to be used for reaping the last child and reach the MaxSpareServer
limit.

A patch will be posted to new-httpd@apache.org