www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Jani Nurminen <jnurmine-apa...@mail.lut.fi>
Subject mod_access/7836: Using a slash "/" inside a comment "#" in the end of "Allow from" line breaks the .htaccess file
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2001 20:39:59 GMT

>Number:         7836
>Category:       mod_access
>Synopsis:       Using a slash "/" inside a comment "#" in the end of "Allow from" line
breaks the .htaccess file
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
Linux [omitted] 2.4.4 #1 Tue May 22 22:34:50 EEST 2001 i686 unknown

Apache 1.3.19 installed from Debian packages:

ii  apache         1.3.19-1       Versatile, high-performance HTTP server
ii  apache-common  1.3.19-1       Support files for all Apache webservers
ii  apache-doc     1.3.19-1       Apache webserver docs
If you use a slash "/" inside a comment "#" in a .htaccess file in the "Allow from" lines
the .htaccess file is parsed wrong.

Ie. having this kind of line in .htaccess file:

Allow from foo.bar.baz.fi         # foo/homeaddress

(the content of comment is not important, the precense of slash is)

causes the following into error log, and the client is denied with a 500 error.

[Mon Jun  4 19:44:08 2001] [alert] [client xxx.xx.xxx.xxx] /www/htdocs/foo/.htaccess: syntax
error in network portion of network/netmask

Thus the precense of slash even in comments is mistaken for network/netmask format. Without
the slash the comments work OK (although I don't know if they are allowed there as such in
the first place...).
>How-To-Repeat:
See full description.
>Fix:
Change the line parser to ignore anything following a hash "#" or something.