www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <ad...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: os-windows/7941: Apache hangs after around a day of use on medium load
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2001 03:11:08 GMT
> I have a production application running on Apache server with Tomcat as servlet engine.
The apache server fails to respond after
regular interval of once a day.
> There is no response from Apache when it happens and killing apache process is the only
way to get out of this mess.
> All this time, if I try to run the app. through tomcat( port 8080),application is running
fine.

> Need to know a solution sooner as this is becoming a big issue w.r.t dependability of
Apache on Win2000 m/c. The number of hits is
not that large. Just 20-30 users connected at all time -  all day.

There have been a number of patches, some quite subtle, that could have an
effect on these problems.  Please upgrade Apache to 1.3.20 (necessary to avert
a denial-of-service attack) and Tomcat 3.2.2, the combination of which may
impact your issue.  If that doesn't solve the problem, please try to provide
a useful amount of detail on the type of traffic that fails v.s. anything that
still functions (does loading mod_status allow you to watch for dead connections,
etc.)

And you may wish to think about using the MaxRequestsPerChild argument.  Although
there would be up to a one minute hiccup, if you can time it about once a day that
shouldn't be all too noticable, and is preferable to your current problem.

The other obvious point, what modules are used/loaded on this server?