www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From wr...@apache.org
Subject Re: os-windows/7278: MSI Install chokes when it can't find %systemdrive%\Program Files\Common Files
Date Wed, 30 May 2001 18:18:59 GMT

Synopsis: MSI Install chokes when it can't find %systemdrive%\Program Files\Common Files

State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
State-Changed-By: wrowe
State-Changed-When: Wed May 30 11:18:57 PDT 2001
State-Changed-Why:
User reports, having ommitted drive letters, that;

> The system was originally set up to NOT rely on this sort
> of thing so as to eliminate problems if and when the OS
> got moved, or the HD had to be repartitioned to allow
> more space for the OS.

I'm afraid that simply isn't a supported configuration.
Having moved WINNT partitions myself more often than I can
count, I'm afraid you've violated the very crux of the
Win32 API by doing so.  I'd suggest simply relying on the
%SystemDrive%, replacing REG_SZ strings with REG_EXPAND_SZ
strings as appropriate, to assure a single change will
quickly allow you to move the OS.

But I'm afraid this isn't a common issue, nor does each
user's unique 'workaround' merit changing the installer.
We will consider packaging a simple .zip file in the
future, for these exceptions [the risk being, we don't
want the casual win32 user to run around with a zip file
they must configure with all sorts of harry commands and
editing .conf files on their first try :-(]