www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Eduardo PĂ©rez Ureta <epe...@dei.inf.uc3m.es>
Subject Re: mod_autoindex/7710: The date from mod_autoindex is not the standard ISO 8601
Date Sat, 12 May 2001 15:20:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_autoindex/7710; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Eduardo_P=E9rez_Ureta?= <eperez@dei.inf.uc3m.es>
To: wrowe@apache.org
Cc: apbugs@Apache.Org
Subject: Re: mod_autoindex/7710: The date from mod_autoindex is not the standard ISO 8601
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 15:19:45 +0000

 On 2001-05-12 14:48:38 -0000, wrowe@apache.org wrote:
 > First, there are some client applications that parse the mod_autoindex output, which

 > would (or will) be broken by this change.  Please don't expect it to be applied until
 > Apache 2.0 where a better schema is introduced, including proper, parsable XML.

 OK, XML is much better.

 > But I see two issues, one, you are introducing seconds (which is certainly not a
 > requirement within ISO8601), and second, your patch violates ISO8601 by prepending
 > the zulu time _suffix_.

 OK, this is not standard. Maybe it was standard time ago.

 > At a minimum, the format needs to show "1998-02-22 23:42Z", not "1998-02-22Z23:42:34".
 > Since the timezone is a constant through the listing, it can (perhaps) be omitted
 > entirely for brevity.  The Zulu time suffix has the annoying property of appearing
 > (in many typefaces, to many folks) as the digit 2.  Better to display the heading
 > as "Last Modified (Z)" or "Last Modified (+0000)" rather than intrude on the limited
 > space available within the listing itself.

 If you omit the timezone then you should refere to UTC.

 > On the issue of 'dictating' this to Apache users, many web sites _are_ local, with
 > local content aimed at a local audience.  This proposal needs some controling
 > directives to give the operator some flexibility, by vhost, to make the information

 > meaningful in it's context.

 But by default should be UTC. If it's not UTC mod_autoindex should show always the timezone.

 > And finally, the user obviously is the end-target of this information.  Some facility
 > to specify the time zone with the request would be a very worthwhile facility.  This
 > would need to be done such that other users don't see the cached results of the
 > request, so it would need to be some sort of ?z=+0500 or ?z=-0100 argument.

 Why is not the user the one that put the date sent by apache in the
 stangest time format he wants. Using only XML would be great !
 But I know old browsers can't get XML

 > Under Apache 2.0, apr is being updated to allow this sort of fine-grained control of
 > dates for an international audience.  This work [while breaking existing consumers
 > of mod_autoindex results] should be done once for all.

 The best solution would be using only XML with UTC.