www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From kevin wang <kw...@nexprise.com>
Subject mod_negotiation/7662: multiviews expects all lowercase filenames!
Date Tue, 01 May 2001 01:43:18 GMT

>Number:         7662
>Category:       mod_negotiation
>Synopsis:       multiviews expects all lowercase filenames!
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
when multiviews is used (i.e. zoom.gif.en) the filename must be in all lowercase.
Yes, I know that nt is not case sensitive, but it IS in this case!  The
URL is of mixed case, and so is the filesystem, but apache is requiring that
the filesystem be lowercase.  See the example
>How-To-Repeat:
create tree:

chdir ...\htdocs
mkdir lang
chdir lang
echo "English" > Test.html.en

point browser at "http://server/lang/Test.html" and it 404's

del Test.html.en
echo "english" > test.html.en

reload page, and it now works.

Looking through mod_negotiation, I can't figure out where it actually tests
for the file existance (when looking at the various extentions).
>Fix:
read_types_multi() gets a listing of the files using readdir().  This
appears to be the source of the lower case filenames that are being strcmp()'ed.

I can't think of any clean way other than to #ifdef win32...stricmp()...
which isn't terribly clean.

Or find a readdir() that preserves case?

oh wait, readdir() is in os/win32/readdir.c Hm...

I'm downloading cygwin so I can debug this further, but I'll submit this now so that
if someone more knowledgeable knows an answer, I don' tneed to expend further energy

   - Kevin kwang@nexprise.com