www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Sander van Zoest <sander-apr...@vanzoest.com>
Subject build/7630: httpd-2.0 --srcdir / apr-util --with-apr broken
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2001 08:28:00 GMT

>Number:         7630
>Category:       build
>Synopsis:       httpd-2.0 --srcdir / apr-util --with-apr broken
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
As posted on new-httpd@apache.org on Feb 5th, 2001 in

Building Apache HTTPd 2.0 with --srcdir= with a path to a read-only src tree,
breaks because apr-util expects to be passed a --with-apr which is impossible
because the src and obj files are in two seperate place that can not be pointed
to via a single path argument.
>How-To-Repeat:
Okay. It has been a little while and my source tree might be a little tweaked
but this still works for me to try to figure this out.

1) % mkdir -p src obj/httpd-2.0
2) % cd src
3) checkout httpd-2.0,apr and apr-util
4) % ln -s src/apr httpd-2.0/srclib/apr
   % ln -s src/apr-util httpd-2.0/srclib/apr-util
   % ln -s src/apr-iconv httpd-2.0/srclib/apr-iconv
4) % ./buildconf
5) % cd obj/httpd-2.0
   % ../httpd-2.0/src/configure --srcdir="../httpd-2.0/src"
--prefix="/usr/local"

Now this assumes that src/ could be a read-only medium (you can just run some
funny chmod to remove all write privledges to that tree).

The build process should build Apache in obj/httpd-2.0, httpd-2.0 seems to
work fine, srclib/apr seems to build fine, apr-util doesn't.

apr-util requires the --with-apr=<path> option to its configure. The problem
really is, is that apr-util has no knowledge what it should find under
obj/httpd-2.0/srclib/apr or when it should look at src/httpd-2.0/srclib/apr,
since it expects only one dir with both of the files in that single place. Things
like APRVARS and apr.h are in the obj dir, but when it looks for apr_pools.h
in the obj dir it fails, because it should be finding this in the src dir.

Although this might be tweaked a little, roughly the error you get is
the following:

<snip>
checking for mawk... (cached) awk
checking for rm... (cached) rm
checking if APR was just build using --srcdir... not found
configure: error: APR could not be located. Please use the --with-apr option.
configure failed for srclib/apr-util
%

The check for srcdir might not exist, that might have been me hacking,
I don't remember.

Hope that helps to repeat the problem.
>Fix:
1) provide a way to give two arguments for apr (src and objs) to ./configure and
   use this as a default to pass on to apr-util from httpd-2.0.
2) require installation of apr onto system and use installed apr for dependency
   checking and building of apr-util.