www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Moses Moore <mo...@canada.com>
Subject os-windows/7578: Holding index.dat files open
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2001 15:21:38 GMT

>Number:         7578
>Category:       os-windows
>Synopsis:       Holding index.dat files open
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I think this is problematic of MS-Windows applications, but maybe some awareness is warranted.

Among the files held open (and, as I discovered, cannot be deleted) are these files:
%WINDOWS%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat
%WINDOWS%\Cookies\index.dat
%WINDOWS%\History\History.IE5\index.dat
... where %WINDOWS% is repalced with the directory Windows was installed to.

With a system tool, I found the Apache.exe process has 12 filehandles, 3 to these files and
9 to the expected access.log/error.log logfiles.

>How-To-Repeat:
Install Internet Explorer 5.x on a Windows box (haven't tried it with NT or 2000).
Install Apache 1.3.17(Win32) on the Windows box.
Start Apache.
Try to delete any of the mentioned index.dat files.
>Fix:
I don't think it needs fixing, but it may indicate that the network system calls in Windows
OSes depends very heavily on their Internet Explorer product (q.q.v.: Department of Justice).
 Might merit a comment in the source to warn future developers of problems that may occur.