www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From strobe anarkhos <anark...@mac.com>
Subject mod_mime/7531: Apache lacks OSType <-> mime magic
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2001 05:42:19 GMT

>Number:         7531
>Category:       mod_mime
>Synopsis:       Apache lacks OSType <-> mime magic
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Apache decides what MIME types are reported depending what filename extension the file has.
Darwin and OS X also have what is called a file 'type' which is a four character code like
"MPEG".

No extra library need be linked to add support for an OSType -> MIME type mapping.

The relevant header is /usr/include/sys/attr.h

Support for OSTypes would help tremendously when dealing with filename extension conflicts.
For example Real Networks lays claim to .rpm as does RedHat.
>How-To-Repeat:
This problem doesn't break anything specifically unless one tries to download .rpm files in
a non-Linux browser or similar situation. It also occurs when the file has no filename extension
which is very frequent with mac users.
>Fix:
I have not contributed source to Apache before, but feel free to contact me. I would be interested
in helping with this specific problem (although it may be so trivial I may end up being in
the way)

The relevant header file is /usr/include/sys/attr.h