www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Nigel Cole <N.C...@sc98c.demon.co.uk>
Subject os-solaris/7527: Large Acrobat files fail to download into plug-in
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2001 15:16:49 GMT

>Number:         7527
>Category:       os-solaris
>Synopsis:       Large Acrobat files fail to download into plug-in
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
This is not the same bug as PR6711, but may be related to PR 5457.

When a large (about 1MB or more; it's not quite consistent, with an
occasional 2MB file working and a 0.7MB file failing) PDF file is accessed
via the Acrobat plug-in for Netscape Communicator, the following sequence
takes place:

1. An initial request for the entire file; response code 200, but only some
multiple of MMAP_SEGMENT_SIZE gets transferred (typically 32768).

2. A request with an If-Modified-Since header and a very long Range header;
response code 304, no data sent.

3. A request for part of the file from about 100k characters in (variable);
response code 206, rest of file sent.

No Acrobat file is visible in the plug-in. The plug-in has no problem
viewing the file if it is downloaded first and loaded from the local
filesystem, nor has it any problem viewing the file from a Netscape
Enterprise webserver on a different part of our network. Once the problem
had been discovered, I did most of my testing on a vanilla 1.3.12 install,
to make sure it wasn't caused by one of our non-standard modules or the
problem noted in PR6711.

The error log has a single entry, probably relating to the first request,
claiming "Broken pipe: client stopped connection before send mmap completed".
Sticking a lot of fprintfs in the code just confirmed that the write() system
call was failing with a EPIPE error.

Two different Solaris versions of Communicator were tried (4.51 and 4.74),
with plug-ins for Acrobat 3 and 4 respectively. Another user has reportedly
tried with NT versions of Communicator 4.74 and Internet Explorer 5.5, with
the same result.

My suspicion is some interaction between the plug-in, the socket code, and
the code for handling ranges (the file downloads without any problem if
Acrobat is launched as a helper application).

I note that PR5457, which describes a similar problem, is also for Apache
on an Sun Ultra running Solaris (though 2.5 rather than 2.6), so I also
suspect that it's peculiar to Solaris.
>How-To-Repeat:
Our network is internal-only, unfortunately. It should be repeatable on a
Solaris system with a sufficiently large PDF file, together with Communicator
and the plug-in.
>Fix:
Sadly, no; I'm completely stumped at this point. There is a work-round (don't
use the Acrobat plug-in, use Acrobat as a helper app), but it's not ideal.