www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <ad...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: os-windows/7578: Holding index.dat files open
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2001 16:25:04 GMT
> I think this is problematic of MS-Windows applications, but maybe some awareness is warranted.
>
> Among the files held open (and, as I discovered, cannot be deleted) are these files:
> %WINDOWS%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat
> %WINDOWS%\Cookies\index.dat
> %WINDOWS%\History\History.IE5\index.dat
> ... where %WINDOWS% is repalced with the directory Windows was installed to.
>
> With a system tool, I found the Apache.exe process has 12 filehandles, 3 to these files

> and 9 to the expected access.log/error.log logfiles.

Please use the handleex tool, available from sysinternals.com, to verify which process
is holding these files open.  We should have _no_ shell-dependent code, and strictly
bind to kernel32, user32, wsock32, advapi32, ws2_32, msvcrt and our own win9xconhook.
I certainly cannot reproduce on WinNT/2K.

Are you linking in _any_ third-party modules that aren't distributed with the
official Apache 1.3 series installer, perhaps java?

Bill