www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Alex Zbyslaw <xf...@dial.pipex.com>
Subject mod_proxy/7416: FTP proxy will not transfer non-existent files
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2001 13:49:52 GMT

>Number:         7416
>Category:       mod_proxy
>Synopsis:       FTP proxy will not transfer non-existent files
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Not as stupid as it sounds!

Some FTP servers will tar up a directory for you if you specify
/some/path/directory.tar.  FTP proxy reports thhat you are accessing a
non-existent file.

e.g. telnet-ing to a host configured to act as a Proxy (but not a cache)

telnet localhost 80
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost
Escape character is '^]'.
GET ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/archivers/bzip2.tar
<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>404 Not Found</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Not Found</H1>
The requested URL ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/archivers/bzip2.tar
was not found on this server.<P>
<HR>
<ADDRESS>Apache/1.3.14 Server at localhost Port 80</ADDRESS>
</BODY></HTML>
>How-To-Repeat:
Set up a proxy server and try to download
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/archivers/bzip2.tar
(it's not big)

The "file" will download fine if you do not go through a proxy.