www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Mike Corcoran <mike.corco...@wright.edu>
Subject mod_proxy/7376: URL appears to not proxy correctly
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2001 19:53:25 GMT

>Number:         7376
>Category:       mod_proxy
>Synopsis:       URL appears to not proxy correctly
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
When using apache as a proxy server, even with all other modules disabled,
The URL(s) below on our library web server's search pages do NOT work
when going through the proxy but do work when you connect directly.
I've tried turning off proxy caching but no luck.  The same behavior exists
with both Netscape Communicator 4.7 and IE 5.5.  When I hit the page with
IE it worked once, but then not a 2nd time which led me to believe it might be
a cache problem but clearing the client cache and setting the client cache to
size zero does not help.  All other pages I've tried on the net work fine
except for the one below when proxying.  If I use the Netscape Proxy Server
the pages work, but netscape does not allow the types of access control we
want to put in place.
>How-To-Repeat:
Yes here: Go to http://wsuol2.wright.edu/search/r?SEARCH=hst101
You will see links under "materials for this course" click on any
of them such as "Athens"  Athens is a link:
http://wsuol2.wright.edu/search/rhst101/rhst101/1,1,1,B/frameset~2108486&F=rhst101&1,,0
if you go to this link directly or through netscape's proxy server, you are
taken to another page where a PDF file is available for download (password protected)
but if you go to this link when proxying through apache, the exact same
page is returned (the one you were already on and trying to leave).
Nothing shows up in the error_log, and the correct URL in full shows up
in the access_log so apache thinks it got the right page.  I tried 4 different
installations of apache using 1.3.17 and 1.3.19  Help?
>Fix:
No, but if you wish to talk to me I can be reached
at 937-775-2431.
Mike Corcoran
Lead Systems Programmer, UNIX
Wright State University