www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Jason Camp <jc...@girl4.com>
Subject general/7331: SSI calls get very very slow after 12+ hours of server use
Date Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:28:11 GMT

>Number:         7331
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       SSI calls get very very slow after 12+ hours of server use
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:
web1# uname -a
SunOS web1 5.7 Generic_106541-12 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-80

web1# gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.7/2.95.2/specs
gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)

web1# /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -v
Server version: Apache/1.3.19 (Unix)
Server built:   Feb 28 2001 09:54:51
I'm not 100% sure if this is a bug, but I can't reproduce it on the same system running 1.3.14.
Running under solaris, with use of SSI includes, after about 12-18 hours of serving appx.
100,000 hits an hour, the CPU utilization increases dramatically on the box up around 50-60%.
Pages take 20-30 secs to come back. If I manually telnet to port 80, and do a GET / HTTP/1.0,
it will retrieve part of the page, hang on an SSI tag, wait 5 secs, and continue on, like
there is some kind of extensive processing occurring to generate the SSI tag.  I don't notice
anything unusual about the system other than this. If I stop and restart apache, it immediately
starts to eat up as much CPU power, my only option is to reboot.
>How-To-Repeat:
not to my knowledge, I can't detect anything specific that seems to set this off
>Fix:
no