www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Bernhard Reiter <bernh...@intevation.de>
Subject mod_userdir/5012: Re: DSO inserting fails (2.2.10 in apache 1.3.9 and 1.3.14
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:00:02 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_userdir/5012; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bernhard Reiter <bernhard@intevation.de>
To: fastcgi-developers@fastcgi.com
Cc: apbugs@Apache.Org
Subject: mod_userdir/5012: Re: DSO inserting fails (2.2.10 in apache 1.3.9 and 1.3.14
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:59:28 +0100

 --3xQkynibq3FKlJyM

 Rob,
 thanks.
 Your hint gave me the right idea,
 actually it is a bug in the header files of apache.
 (Reported in Sep 1999, PR# 5012, but never fixed.)

 Under certain circumstances (gcc compiler, unix) it
 will use a definition like
 	extern __inline__=20
 in os.h for ap_os_is_path_absolute().=20
 This way the function is not inlined with normal compiles=20
 and the compiler then relies on a library or in this case apache=20
 to have non-inlined version of the function for linking.

 Of course apache does not contain the function.
 And gcc does not do any linining without optimisation.
 If you switch on function inlining in the compile of=20
 fcgi_util.c (e.g. through enabling optimising), it works fine.

 You might want to add to the INSTALL files a hint,
 that
 	apxs -Wc,-O -o mod_fastcgi.so -c *.c=20
 might help, if you have problems with
 	/usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_fastcgi.so: undefined symbol: ap_os_is_path_absolu=
 te
 when trying to insert the module into apache.

 The real solution in the apache sources is=20
 to leave out the "extern" from the INLINE macro line 77 os.h (for unix)=20
 and add the "extern" to the empty ap_line macro in ap_config (line 104).

 	Bernhard

 On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 09:55:39PM -0500, Rob Saccoccio wrote:
 > > I am trying to build mod_fastcgi.c as DSO and load it into
 > > apache 1.3.9 or 1.3.14 on GNU/Linux intel (Debian).
 > >
 > > apachectl configtest
 > > Syntax error on line 113 of /etc/apache/httpd.conf:
 > > Cannot load /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_fastcgi.so into server:
 > > /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_fastcgi.so: undefined symbol:
 > > ap_os_is_path_absolute
 >=20
 > ap_os_is_path_absolute() probably got inlined in httpd, but not in the
 > building of mod_fastcgi (see its
 >=20
 > You'll have to do one or the other for both.
 >=20
 > Try rebuilding mod_fastcgi with INLINE defined.
 >=20
 > --robs
 >=20

 --=20
 Professional Service around Free Software                (intevation.net) =
 =20
 The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
 FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)

 --3xQkynibq3FKlJyM

 --3xQkynibq3FKlJyM--