www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Simon Flood <S.M.Fl...@ucs.cam.ac.uk>
Subject mod_userdir/7303: /~user/ doesn't work
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2001 17:26:41 GMT

>Number:         7303
>Category:       mod_userdir
>Synopsis:       /~user/ doesn't work
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
Novell NetWare 5.1 with Support Pack 2a applied.

Apache installed from pre-compiled binary available from www.apache.org
Have installed Apache on to server from pre-compiled binary.

All I have changed in HTTPD.CONF are the following:

* ThreadsPerChild 5 (from 50)
* Uncommented lines to use status.nlm and info.nlm modules
* ExtendedStatus On
* Port 81 (server is also running NetWare Enterprise Server on port 80)
* ServerAdmin <my_e-mail_address>
* ServerName <DNS_name>

Everything else is as supplied.

My server is the single server in O=Testing in it's own tree.  Apart from objects created
during installation of NetWare 5.1 I have only created three additional users called (imaginatively!)
user1, user2, and user3.

I have created a USER (traditional rather than NSS, using DOS and LONG name space) on which
I have created three directories - user1, user2, and user3.

Using NetWare Administrator I have assigned each user a home directory (so this is stored
in NDS) and granted each user RWCEMF rights to their directory.

Within user's home directory I have created a sub-directory public_html and created both an
index.html and index.htm file with minimal content.

When I try and access http://<DNS_name>/~user1 or variations (/~user1/, /~user1.testing/,
etc.) it produces a 404 error.

I have tried giving server object RF rights to user's home directory and setting O=Testing
as the bindery context.
>How-To-Repeat:
Set up NetWare 5.1 using default settings and install Apache.  After installation change settings
as detailed above.
>Fix:
No I'm afraid that I'm not much of a C++ programmer but I have looked at the source for mod_userdir.c
and compared it with a version of the file found at http://poli.cs.vsb.cz/novell/apache (posted

I've tried downloading and using the provided ApacheC.nlm but it doesn't work with the latest
Apache.nlm provided with version 1.3.17.

Does Apache pick up the user's home directory from NDS (rather than rely on a particular path)?

Many thanks,

Simon