www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Nathan Dorfman <nat...@rtfm.net>
Subject build/7286: 'make install' target wants to modify build tree
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:48:30 GMT

>Number:         7286
>Category:       build
>Synopsis:       'make install' target wants to modify build tree
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
That's basically the problem. I think that 'install' should be a read-only
target with regard to the build tree. Try to run it on a directory that you
can't write to, and you get things like:

./src/helpers/install.sh -c -m 755 ./src/support/dbmmanage[*] /usr/local/etc/httpd/bin/dbmmanage
/bin/sh: ./src/.apaci.install.tmp: cannot create
make[1]: *** [install-support] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ndorfman/apache-1.3.17'
make: *** [install-all] Error 2

(~/apache-1.3.17 is on NFS in this situation, and when I su to root to
'make install', uid 0 is mapped to nobody on the NFS server. Common
enough.)
>How-To-Repeat:
Try to run 'make install' out of an Apache source tree that you can't
modify.
>Fix:
Stop making temp files ;) yeah, I know. Sorry. But it's just a noncrit
changereq.