www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Daniel Good ...@about-inc.com>
Subject mod_rewrite/7272: patch for RewriteCond string test preventing apache startup
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2001 05:16:49 GMT

>Number:         7272
>Category:       mod_rewrite
>Synopsis:       patch for RewriteCond string test preventing apache startup
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
*** mod_rewrite.c.orig  Sun Feb 18 21:04:05 2001
--- mod_rewrite.c       Sun Feb 18 21:37:26 2001
***************
*** 607,612 ****
--- 607,629 ----
          cp++;
      }

+     /* CondPattern is not always a regular expression, such
+        as the ">string" case or the "=string" case.  It is
+        possible in these non-regex cases to have a sequence
+        of characters that represent an illegal regex, for
+        example "=**" (admittedly contrived :).  Let's return
+        here for the non-regex cases, since a failed regex
+        compile means apache will refuse to startup. */
+     switch (*cp) {
+         case '-':
+         case '>':
+         case '<':
+         case '=':
+             new->pattern = ap_pstrdup(cmd->pool, cp);
+             new->regexp  = NULL;
+             return NULL;
+     }
+
      /* now be careful: Under the POSIX regex library
         we can compile the pattern for case-insensitive matching,
         under the old V8 library we have to do it self via a hack */
>How-To-Repeat:
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} =**

3# apachectl start
Syntax error on line 217 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
RewriteCond: cannot compile regular expression '=**'

/usr/local/bin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started
>Fix:
see description