www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <sl...@apache.org>
Subject RE: general/7232: FilesMatch does not work correctly
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2001 22:30:06 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/7232; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Joshua Slive <slive@apache.org>
To: Thiago Madeira de Lima <jungle@sti.com.br>
Cc: <apache-bugdb@apache.org>, <apbugs@apache.org>
Subject: RE: general/7232: FilesMatch does not work correctly
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 14:24:10 -0800 (PST)

 On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Thiago Madeira de Lima wrote:

 > 	Sorry, I can't agree with you.
 >
 > 	I use the FilesMatch directive send all .htm files to a perl handler.
 >
 > 	The perl handler include some html in the page.
 >
 > 	When I request (using lynx/netscape/ie) :
 >
 > 	www.foo.com/x.htm  I see the page x.htm modified by my banner
 >
 > 	If I copy the x.htm to "x x.htm" and request www.foo.com/x x.htm I see the
 > original x.htm without the banner modifications. So the request is allright,
 > I'm seeing what I asked for.
 >
 > 	Try my sample at : http://paulinha.hpg.com.br/
 >
 > 	You will see that the file with the space don't show you the banner. And in
 > the file system both files are exactly the same.
 >
 > 	I made some extensive tests with it. Sending enconded and unencoded urls to
 > apache, and in both ways I allways get the same result.

 There are too many variables here to properly diagnose what is going on.
 A request for "x x.htm" could easily be interpreted by Apache as a request
 for "x" which could (via MutiViews) lead to "x.htm" being served, and
 then who knows what your Perl handler would do with that.

 To confirm to myself that <FilesMatch> does work with encoded space,
 I tried a more simple configuration:

 <FilesMatch .*\.htm$>
 Deny from all
 </FilesMatch>

 And that worked fine regardless of whether the request contained an
 encoded space or not.  Why don't you try something like, with filenames
 "x.htm" and "y y.htm" (requested as "y%20y.htm") and see if it works for
 you (ie. it forbids access).

 If it does work, then there is likely a problem either with the way you
 are calling the Perl handler, or with the Perl handler itself.

 Good luck.

 Joshua.